Decay around the edges, or a margin, of fillings, is also common for older adults. Because many older adults lacked the benefits of fluoride and modern preventive dental care when they were growing up, they often have a number of dental fillings. Over the years, these fillings may weaken and tend to fracture and leak around the edges. Bacteria accumulate in these tiny crevices causing acid to build up which leads to decay.
You can help prevent tooth decay by following these tips:
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner.
- Eat nutritious and balanced meals and limit snacking.
- Check with your dentist about the use of supplemental fluoride, which strengthens your teeth, and about the use of dental sealants (a plastic protective coating) applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (where decay often starts) to protect them from decay.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examinations.
For more information: https://www.mouthhealthy.org/all-topics-a-z/cavities
If you are someone you know is in need of donated dental care contact @anchorageprojectaccess to find out if you qualify! www.anchorageprojectaccess.org
#anchorageprojectaccess #dentalcare #dental #oralhealth